USS Radford DDE-446 moving up to refuel from USS Ponchatoula AO-148 off Formosa Sept. 27, 1958.
Carrier USS Princeton CVS-37
is in the background. The Radford was commissioned in 1942 as a
Fletcher class destroyer and redesignated a DDE in 1949. She operated out of Pearl Harbor, HI in the
1950s and in March of 1960 began a 7 month FRAM II, (Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization)
overhaul. She gained a helicopter hanger and flight deck. In July 1969 she was decommissioned at
San Francisco. On 10 Nov 1969 after a long and distinguished career which included a Presidential
Unit Citation,
Radford was struck from the Navy list and sold for scrap.
Photograph from MidwayJoe Collection
P10
USS RADFORD to refuel from USS PONCHATOULA
Powered by counter.bloke.com